Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Preparing for Life

Yesterday was Kevin's official first day back at school for the fall semester and technically the first time since we have been married that he has been gone for nearly the entire day. Needless to say, I was a bit distraught over his leaving, and even tried to hold him in the bed by my fantastic twister moves (aka, my legs dramatically wrapped around his midsection)!!

After he broke free from my grasp, I got up with him and went downstairs, where I started his breakfast, packed his lunch (leaving a little note on a paper towel), loaded up his backpack, and got his clothes together while he showered. When he was finally ready to go, I gave hime a kiss and sent him on his way...

I knew that once he left, I had two options. I could go back to bed or I could do some things that I wouldn't normally do (clean the bathroom, kitchen, etc). So I decided that I would tackle the upstairs, do some laundry, and then head to the television to watch some silly show like "How Clean is Your House" and tell myself that at least my place isn't THAT bad!!! Kim and Aggie always make me feel great about my cleaning skills when you see some of the places they have to go!

So as I am fervently cleaning the upstairs, listening to the Christian pop station on Sirius radio, I somehow run over the cable wire and put the cable out!! Now I know this happens, but I don't know how to fix it and Kevin won't be home for HOURS! Michelle with no television is like an ocean with no water...it just doesn't happen!! But I never once stressed out about it. I just told myself that this was a perfect opportunity for me to clean the entire house, and give my husband something to be proud of when he got home.

So I cleaned...and cleaned....and cleaned!! I cleaned in places I didn't even know got dirty. And then when I finished cleaning, I decided I would have dinner ready for him when he got home too, so I started making spaghetti.

So around 6:00 pm, enter the husband...

He walks into the kitchen, gives me one of the best hugs I have received in quite a while, kisses me over and over and talks about how hungry he is and while it is true that dinner is almost done, I want him to notice the house!! I want him to see that I cleaned the bathroom and scrubbed the toilet!! I want him to see that I bleached the counters and did ALL the laundry, including rugs!! I want him to see that I made the bed, washed the sheets, vacuumed and dusted all the rooms, and cleaned out my closet!! So what do I do? I start pointing out things to him that I have done throughout the day...EVERYTHING!!!

I wanted credit, he wanted time with me!! I learned something yesterday. It doesn't matter what I do all day long, to Kevin, or more importantly, to God. Like my husband, God just wants my time, my heart, my love, and my compassion. I strive daily to give all these things to Kevin in any way that I can find, but I am well aware that I fall short in giving God that same attention.

So all the cleaning is done, and today all I have is some towels to wash. And to spend some intimate time with my Savior!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment